Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Anti-misogyny and Anti-misandry

4 posters

Go down

Anti-misogyny and Anti-misandry Empty Anti-misogyny and Anti-misandry

Post  Dar Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 am

There is much more to what attracted me to the initial idea of atheismplus as it was promoted.

Not all feminists are rooted in misandry. Unfortunately, the loudest feminists do espouse misandry.

Not all those who care about men's rights are misogynists. Unfortunately, the loudest men's right advocates do espouse misogyny.

Those of us in the middle don't have to agree on everything. We need not focus on the controversial inkblot test that is Scrodinger's Rapist as if everyone should look at it and see the same thing.

Even so, I would dare say that just about everyone here is anti-misandry and anti-misogyny.

What can we do to help promote gender equality and reduce gender hate? Please note that by gender I'm referring not just to male and female genders.

Dar

Back to top Go down

Anti-misogyny and Anti-misandry Empty Re: Anti-misogyny and Anti-misandry

Post  Atheist Dude Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:58 am

Dar wrote:There is much more to what attracted me to the initial idea of atheismplus as it was promoted.

Not all feminists are rooted in misandry. Unfortunately, the loudest feminists do espouse misandry.

Not all those who care about men's rights are misogynists. Unfortunately, the loudest men's right advocates do espouse misogyny.

Those of us in the middle don't have to agree on everything. We need not focus on the controversial inkblot test that is Scrodinger's Rapist as if everyone should look at it and see the same thing.

Even so, I would dare say that just about everyone here is anti-misandry and anti-misogyny.

What can we do to help promote gender equality and reduce gender hate? Please note that by gender I'm referring not just to male and female genders.

We need to challenge our own beliefs, be open to different perspectives, and to speak out personally when confronted with bigotry, oppression and hate.
Atheist Dude
Atheist Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  piginthecity Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 am

Hey, Dar -

Here's a suggestion. First of all let's not bandy the word 'hate' around.

This word is sometimes appropriate, for example if someone is making anonymous eMail threats against an individial, including of sexual assault, then that communication is genuinely hateful (even if the emotion behind it isn't actually hate, but merely a wish to cause pain for amusement - the recipient can't tell of course).

Strident and consistent disagreement with a position expressed on an appropriate platform is not hate, even if this is expressed in uncharitable terms. For example, there's nothing that I've ever read on this particular forum that classifies as 'hate'.

The biggest problem is not so much hate, but, when adversarialism is taken to the extent that there's no real communication any more. On a medium such as this, it is easy to fall into the trap of reading content by 'the opposition' solely for weak points to attack, rather than trying to see anything through their eyes. Also regarding someone as a representative of 'them' rather than someone who might be amenable to an argument.

piginthecity

Back to top Go down

Post  Early Cuyler Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Dar wrote:There is much more to what attracted me to the initial idea of atheismplus as it was promoted.

You got it right. Bigotry is bigotry is bigotry. Any feminist who uses MRA as an epithet is a bigot. Likewise those who use feminist as an epithet are also bigots.

MRA's and feminists should be on the same side, the side of fair treatment.
Early Cuyler
Early Cuyler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down