Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

mistermack says Hi

5 posters

Go down

mistermack says Hi Empty mistermack says Hi

Post  mistermack Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 am

Hi

mistermack

Back to top Go down

mistermack says Hi Empty Re: mistermack says Hi

Post  scott1328 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 am

Hi and welcome, I've seen your handle on various fora.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:26 am

Howdy.

Welcome to the forum...such as it is. I vaguely recall you from a+.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:47 am

nullnvoid wrote:Howdy.  

Welcome to the forum...such as it is.  I vaguely recall you from a+.

That's me. Same old same old.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 am

scott1328 wrote:Hi and welcome, I've seen your handle on various fora.
Thanks.
Yes, I'm on Rationalia, and was on A+

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 pm

I can't promise a lot of activity on here...but feel free to put your feet up and start some discussions...

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:48 am

nullnvoid wrote:I can't promise a lot of activity on here...but feel free to put your feet up and start some discussions...
No, I knew that. I've looked in now and again, and can see there isn't much traffic.

I think it's either the website address itself, or the SSJ title that doesn't drag in the punters.
Having said that, the A+ site is getting less and less traffic day by day. I think it's virtually just the moderators posting now, and much of it on the hidden part of the forum.

When I joined there, last November, there was about 500 + posts per day. It's now down to not much over fifty, on average, and that includes the hidden posts. I think it's on it's deathbed.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  mood2 Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 am

Hello mistermack, I've seen you around A+ too, welcome Smile

mood2

Back to top Go down

Post  scott1328 Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:16 pm

mistermack wrote:
Thanks.

I think you're on RatSkep too.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:53 am

scott1328 wrote:
mistermack wrote:
Thanks.

I don't think so. I might have joined while I was pissed, and forgotten.
I'll have to have a look.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:33 am

Howdy howdy!

I'm a new member, and I'd like to breathe some new life into this forum in a... less hostile environment.

tomokun

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:35 am

tomokun wrote:Howdy howdy!

I'm a new member, and I'd like to breathe some new life into this forum in a... less hostile environment.
Hi, so am I, fairly new.
Less hostile than what, though?

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  tomokun Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:17 am

Some social justice forums have a culture that in my opinion reinforces the frustration and anger disadvantaged groups feel rather than focusing on promoting a culture of compassion and understanding unilaterally.

So dissenting opinions are often treated with the same sort of anger and outrage that Trolls normally look for. Trolls INTEND to piss people off, but most people aren't trolls, so why treat them that way? One of the core ideas behind social justice is that everyone deserves to be treated fairly, regardless of their disadvantageous. People of privilege may be blind to their advantageous, but fundamentally that blindness IS a disadvantage. Compassion and empathy are critical, and that blindness can get in the way of working together with groups that have a lot to offer.

So, rather than feed into whirlwind of apathy for problems that aren't your own by continuing a campaign of hostile indifference rationalized by differences in relative privilege, I'm for advocating unilateral compassion and patience. You don't need to be rude in order to resolve a difference of opinion based on either experience or research.

tomokun

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 am

mistermack wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
mistermack wrote:
Thanks.

I don't think so. I might have joined while I was pissed, and forgotten.
I'll have to have a look.
I don't think I ever joined Ratskep, can't recall it. You might be thinking of Talk Rational.
I did post on that for a short spell.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:38 am

tomokun wrote:Some social justice forums have a culture that in my opinion reinforces the frustration and anger disadvantaged groups feel rather than focusing on promoting a culture of compassion and understanding unilaterally.

So dissenting opinions are often treated with the same sort of anger and outrage that Trolls normally look for. Trolls INTEND to piss people off, but most people aren't trolls, so why treat them that way? One of the core ideas behind social justice is that everyone deserves to be treated fairly, regardless of their disadvantageous. People of privilege may be blind to their advantageous, but fundamentally that blindness IS a disadvantage. Compassion and empathy are critical, and that blindness can get in the way of working together with groups that have a lot to offer.

So, rather than feed into whirlwind of apathy for problems that aren't your own by continuing a campaign of hostile indifference rationalized by differences in relative privilege, I'm for advocating unilateral compassion and patience. You don't need to be rude in order to resolve a difference of opinion based on either experience or research.
I only know of one other social justice-oriented site, that's atheism+, which is a real oddball, and not typical of forums as a whole.
It's basically been run down by the moderators, who as a group have the biggest egos and least common sense I've ever come across online. It used to be ok, but it's become a joke.
If you've been over there, I wouldn't take it as an example of what to expect on a normal site.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

I've gone to a few feminist forums, in addition to A+, and some of those communities CAN be downright hostile.

I am talking about A+ though (although I think I get where they are coming from), as well as "that site which I shall not name" run by PZ Meyers. I think that community in particular is rather poisonous, not just to their critics, but even to supporters of secular issues. I was literally called a rape apologist and an anti-feminist "dudebro" for having the temerity to suggest that rather than more rules at conferences, what we need is more proactive enforcement of the rules that exist and mediation safe spaces which can walk people through any conflicts that arise. I also awfully suggested that conferences could include workshops on interpersonal communications, since the way these issues were being raised suggested that girls were being rudely hit on like hotcakes.

And for those suggestions to the conversation, it was actually suggested that I was a closet rapist. Like, those were the words that were used.

So... respectfully, FUCK them.

tomokun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum