Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Hi , n00b here.

3 posters

Go down

Hi , n00b here. Empty Hi , n00b here.

Post  Pendaric Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:17 am

My name is Pendaric. Some of you may know me from Secular Cafe.

I've been lurking at A+ for the past week.

Social justice is an area I'm interested in learning about. I don't speak the lanquage, and the concepts are new to me. I didn't want to sign up at A+ because of the obvious hostility to anybody who was at all a noob - they made it clear that they expected you to have a good deal of experience and knowledge.

Nonetheless, by lurking I've encountered the concepts of privilege, and Schodringer's Rapist, both of which I haven't come across before. They make sense to me, and to the extent of getting that new knowledge I'm grateful to them. But I think I'll go somewhere that isn't going to rip my face off for accidentally putting my foot in it in order to acquire more knowledge.

I'm hoping that place is here. I'm quite possibly going to accidentally offend people several times until I'm more up to speed, if the postings at A+ are any kind of guide at all. Please accept my apologies in advance if that happens - I can assure you that my intentions are good, even if the road to hell is paved with them...

So - where do I start in learning about this? What are the basic concepts that I really have to have a handle on?

Pendaric

Back to top Go down

Hi , n00b here. Empty Re: Hi , n00b here.

Post  piginthecity Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 am

Howdy Pendaric -

Welcome and feel free to chew over the ideas. You won't offend anyone here, so there's no need for best behaviour.

At the moment, this is a fairly new forum, and you will certainly find people who are knowledgeable about and enthusiastic for progressive politics. On the whole, though, I have to say that you might struggle to get a definitive handle on 'social justice' here as not everyone here has even bought into it as a useful concept, and even its most enthusiastic proponents tend to give either a vague definition or one which varies from someone else's.

We seem to get the odd poster coming over from the 'blue' to slum it with us for a while, and you should be able to identify them and maybe decide whether you broadly agree with them which might be a start.

So, with the disclaimer that we can't guarantee a primer, and we definitely can't guarantee that we can train you such that you won't get told off if you ever venture into the other place (even the Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Mr. Miagi working together couldn't accomplish that), please feel welcome to join in. We can guarantee you a voice.

piginthecity

Back to top Go down

Post  mood2 Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:17 am

hello!

mood2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum