Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Hello from The Netherlands

2 posters

Go down

Hello from The Netherlands Empty Hello from The Netherlands

Post  Big Jim Slade Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:12 am

Hi there,

Dutchman here, who's been lurking on 'that other forum' for a while now. Some interesting topics there, but didn't feel inclined to post because of the volatile moderation policy and the way newbies are treated.

It'll be interesting to see how this place gets off the ground.

Cheers,
Big Jim Slade
Big Jim Slade
Big Jim Slade

Back to top Go down

Hello from The Netherlands Empty Re: Hello from The Netherlands

Post  mood2 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 am

It will.

Nice to have you here. What sort of stuff are you interested in?

mood2

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Jim Slade Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Well, that's a bit of a broad question.

Science - especially evolution and climate change. I'm currently doing an at home biology course (basics, really) and Coursera's Introduction to Genetics and Evolution. I've signed up for a couple more, like Climate Literacy: Navigating Climate Conversations.

I'm an avid fantasy reader. Books by R. Scott Bakker and Steven Erikson are some of my favourites.

In the social justice sense, homophobia is one of those subjects that jumps out. I live in a country where same sex marriage has been legal for over eleven years. People only need to take a look at the evidence to be able to conclude that the world hasn't ended, cats and dogs aren't living together and bestiality and pedophilia have not been legalised as a result. Which is why I'm constantly amazed at the non-argument of religious bigots in countries like the US that legalizing gay marriage somehow constitutes a slippery slope. FFS, just look at the evidence! And religious bigots should seriously stop using the 'devaluation of marriage as we know it' argument in this regard, as if marriage is somehow a religious invention. This kind of intellectual dishonesty just really pisses me off.

That's from the top of my head. Feel free to ask more.
Big Jim Slade
Big Jim Slade

Back to top Go down

Post  mood2 Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:31 am

The arguments against gay marriage drive me barmy too. Plain stupid - and disingenuous too most of the time. In the UK it's the same with the church leading the charge against it, Catholics and Church of England finally have something to agree on when it comes to bigotry apparently! The Netherlands are way ahead of most of places in terms of viewing sex like grown ups.

I'm a scientific ignoramus myself, but interested. I've learned much more about evolution from reading these sort of boards than I did in school lol. The science forum here is looking a bit sad at the moment, so feel free to jump in if you get the urge Smile.

mood2

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Jim Slade Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:17 am

mood2 wrote:The Netherlands are way ahead of most of places in terms of viewing sex like grown ups.
This bit is from a fun article on Alternet, called 5 Countries That Do It Better: How Sexual Prudery Makes America a Less Healthy and Happy Place:
1. The Netherlands

The Netherlands has a reputation for being one of the most pro-sex countries in the world, and it isn’t hard to understand why. From comprehensive sex education to legal prostitution (Amsterdam has one of Europe’s most famous red light districts) to nude and topless beaches, the Netherlands is a social conservative’s worst nightmare. On top of that, the Netherlands was the first country in the world to legalize gay marriage (the Netherlands legalized same-sex civil unions in 1998 and gay marriage in 2001). But while Rick Santorum would no doubt view Amsterdam and Rotterdam as a modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah, the reality is that all that sexual openness is having positive results in the Netherlands. Sociologist Amy Schalet (author of “Not Under My Roof: Parents, Teens and the Culture of Sex” and a professor at the University of Massachusetts) has done extensive sex-related research on the United States and the Netherlands, often asserting that Americans would be much better off if they had the sexual openness of the Dutch.

And the data bears that out. The United Nations reported that in 2009, the Netherlands had a teen birth rate of 5.3 per 1,000 compared to 39.1 per 1,000 in the United States that year (teen birth rates provided by the United Nations, the Guttmacher Institute, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Advocates for Youth and other organizations typically look at females in the 15–19 age group). Advocates for Youth has reported that the Netherlands had an abortion rate of 8.8 per 1,000 in 2006 compared to 14.8 per 1,000 in the United States in 2007 (abortion rates, as a rule, are based on the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44). And Advocates for Youth has also reported that in 2009, the United States had three times as many adults living with HIV or AIDS as the Netherlands (0.2 percent in the Netherlands compared to 0.6 percent in the United States). Also, in 2006, there were roughly 13 cases of gonorrhea per 100,000 Netherlands residents in the 15–19 age group compared to roughly 458 per 100,000 in the United States that year. So when it comes to sexual health, the United States is clearly dropping the ball compared to the Netherlands.
Big Jim Slade
Big Jim Slade

Back to top Go down

Post  mood2 Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:03 pm

wow those are pretty startling stats. I wouldn't have thought it would be that striking.

It's a good job the US religious right types aren't swayed by things like evidence.

mood2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum