Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The gripe/ask about computers thread.

2 posters

Go down

The gripe/ask about computers thread. Empty The gripe/ask about computers thread.

Post  arpie Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 am

mood2 wrote:lol, bring back ratchets and levers I say, you know where you are with a widget!

If it's the magnifying thingy then mine's easy peasy to adjust back and forth. Click View on the toolbar and then Zoom, dunno if yours is the same...

Listen, you wouldn't believe how often I have to reset size. After 2 years with my current laptop-HP's version of a Compaq Presario I bought at Walmart for $300-I've given up on not accidentally making all kinds of shifts. I write only in a gmail draft, so that way I never lose too much when this happens. I can't even see what I've done! All of a sudden I'll be writing and boom I'm on a new tab.

I could probably figure out what's happening if it would make any difference. It wouldn't. The main problem is a touch pad right in the middle of the keyboard-which I like. But this one isn't indented at all, and has a rough surface. So easy to be typing away and the palm of either hand triggers some shift to new tab or whatever. Work around. Am writing this as a gmail draft. Will copy and paste it in.

I try and resist employing new technology. I drive a 77 Toyota that has a carburetor and alternator. The latter is actually new innovation for me, lol. I grew up with generators, which you could take off and repair easily. Advancements always come with a cost, owing mostly to increased complexity. It soon becomes cheaper to trash than repair. Welcome to the brave new world. Ignore the restless natives. We plan to 'parts them out.'

"The future is fun...The future is fair...
They already have won..we may already be there!!
Men, women, children, all...are up against the wall...
of science!" The gripe/ask about computers thread. Evilgrin

arpie

Back to top Go down

The gripe/ask about computers thread. Empty Re: The gripe/ask about computers thread.

Post  mood2 Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 am

blimey you've got more patience than me arpie! mine would have gone flying out the window by now lol
have you thought about having a separate keyboard for stuff like posting?

Advancements always come with a cost, owing mostly to increased complexity. It soon becomes cheaper to trash than repair. Welcome to the brave new world. Ignore the restless natives. We plan to 'parts them out.'

heh true.

I also don't like the ever increasing 'remoteness' of new tech. I'm one of those idiots who reacts to kit instructions with 'Don't tell me what to do!' and have the sort of brain which likes to see how the cog turns the lever. If I have to read pages of instructions I'm mindlessly supposed to follow, after about 3 mins I'm either bored to buggery and give up, or imagining I've got it and don't need the rest then go do something stupid which takes 10 times as long to fix.

mood2

Back to top Go down

The gripe/ask about computers thread. Empty Re: The gripe/ask about computers thread.

Post  arpie Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 am

mood2 wrote:blimey you've got more patience than me arpie! mine would have gone flying out the window by now lol
have you thought about having a separate keyboard for stuff like posting?

What I probably need is a Yerkish keyboard. Last night for the first time I envisioned myself punching my screen. But for a $300 laptop it has a lot going for it so... I am writing this as a gmail. No matter what bizarre things I trigger when typing fast, I only loose a few sentences as it updates like every 10 seconds. Then copy and paste. Workarounds are the cyber-crutch of the elderly. The gripe/ask about computers thread. Mysmilie_942

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down