Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Recursive Prophet banned on A+

5 posters

Go down

Recursive Prophet banned on A+ Empty Recursive Prophet banned on A+

Post  nullnvoid Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 am

I just wanted to mention that particular reprobate and how it went down.

The thread is here: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3735

It began with a civil request that the no PM rule be relaxed to allow for a single PM to be made requesting the right to further PMs. This request was born from the suggestion that people with specific types of anxiety would be triggered by posting their request to PM in the open forum. The response was that there were other people that were specifically triggered by receiving a PM and that the rule would be discussed by the staff.

Those staff that posted demonstrated a lack of understanding of the issues surrounding Social Anxiety. There is a solution, allow people who suffer from this to make a single Private request, anyone who is triggered by receiving PMs can turn the PMs off. This wasn't discussed. Instead, they picked on specific words from Recursive Prophet until he lost his temper and he was banned.

I've read in other forums JREF in particular someone criticize R.P. for losing his temper. The snark thus justifying the temporary (1 month!) ban. But I think the snark is the result of deliberate baiting from the regular members. It puts the loss of temper in context at least.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Recursive Prophet banned on A+ Empty Re: Recursive Prophet banned on A+

Post  scott1328 Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 am

RP joins august company in his banishment. The question is will he go back... No

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  Glob the Funct Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm

scott1328 wrote:RP joins august company in his banishment. The question is will he go back... No

I too have been banned.
...for asking why I was banned.
Glob the Funct
Glob the Funct

Back to top Go down

Post  arpie Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am

Glob the Funct wrote:
scott1328 wrote:RP joins august company in his banishment. The question is will he go back... No

I too have been banned.

WHAT'S YOUR PURPOSE HERE?? ANSWER THE QUESTION!!

And check your privileges you Glob of shit! Do you actually believe you have any right to challenge the authority real personal experience has bestowed upon those tasked with making atheistplus a safe environment? Keeping assholes like you who would question their actions at bay is their primary task! People's lives depend on their protection of the most marginalized among them from churlish berks like you!

As for RP he's just one of many parsehole trolls from TR who only went to Atheist+ to stir shit. Recursive Prophet banned on A+ Mysmilie_36 His insensitivity is obvious by his lack of concern for those who would need weeks to recover from the panic attack an unsolicited PM would trigger. And now he's trash-talk whinging at JREF about it. He said there he ain't comin back so I think I'll just make that permanent. [Epileptic Trigger Alert] Twisted Evil [/ceepolk channel]

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Eeek...Quit channelling Ceepolk!

Glob - Geez...banned for politely questioning whether your temp ban was justified. That's low.

On the plus side - they are starting to wake up to why they are being 'trolled' so much. There's a discussion I read the other day that noted that many of the people coming to their forum are under the misapprehension that they consider themselves the next wave of atheism. They acknowledged that some blog or another actually said something like this and that their forum was not intended as a place for everyone. They see themselves as a place where people who are already at third year level of "SJ" can come and learn from people who are unprivileged.

Perhaps it would be good to see some public advertising that their forum is not for everyone.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  wind Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 pm

You're being kind, null.
I'd go so far as to say that right now that spot isn't for hardly anybody? Embarassed

I mean, ALL forums are going to be "not for everyone."

wind

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm not sure why we can't all just be kind! I'm a bit soft like that.

There's a concept of Social Justice that has been established as a branch of sociology. I think they're really trying to promote/'teach' that form/concept of social justice and are not receptive to any criticism. So, yes - it's absolutely aimed at 'hardly anybody'.

But, if they can get to the point where they are servicing a group of people who aren't being serviced at other forums - then this could be a valuable thing to do. the problem at the moment seems to be that people are clearly getting there and expecting to be included who are being excluded. I think good people are being hurt by this, and those who are participating are becoming jaded by it. So at the moment it seems to be a poisonous place.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  arpie Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:12 pm

It's possible the small core group that basically account for over half the posts there now might be able to keep their shrinking pup-tent from collapsing. Secular Cafe for example only averages about 20 users logged in, yet they keep on going. They get a lot more guests though.

I strongly suspect A+ won't be around in 2014 the way they're declining now. Did you see that chart on their traffic?

Recursive Prophet banned on A+ Atheismplus.com+talkrational.org+++_uv

The green line is for TR, which is also on a downward trajectory though not as steep. I started lurking at A+ in September and always check the numbers on any site I visit. I suspect theirs are down much further still from the Dec. 12 point where the graph ends. The only real question is when the staff and a few of their die-hard disciples are the only ones left, will they still find it interesting without all the drama and nobody left they can kick out. Cool

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Glob the Funct Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

arpie wrote:
Glob the Funct wrote:

I too have been banned.

WHAT'S YOUR PURPOSE HERE?? ANSWER THE QUESTION!!

And check your privileges you Glob of shit! Do you actually believe you have any right to challenge the authority real personal experience has bestowed upon those tasked with making atheistplus a safe environment? Keeping assholes like you who would question their actions at bay is their primary task! People's lives depend on their protection of the most marginalized among them from churlish berks like you!

I hang my head in shame. I've had the priviledge of having my life threatened for opposing Apartheid. I've had the priviledge of living under a system where just expressing your opinion could get you banned*.

Déjà vu

*Banning in Apartheid South Africa was a system of punishment whereby one had to report to the police daily, or weekly, not leave the magisterial district, and could not have more than one visitor at a time. One could not attend gatherings, or be involved in any political activity.
Glob the Funct
Glob the Funct

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm

I would love to hear your thoughts on equality - especially in regards to the situation as it has developed in the post apartheid period.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  wind Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 am

nullnvoid wrote:I would love to hear your thoughts on equality - especially in regards to the situation as it has developed in the post apartheid period.

Me, too.

wind

Back to top Go down

Post  arpie Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 am

wind wrote:
nullnvoid wrote:I would love to hear your thoughts on equality - especially in regards to the situation as it has developed in the post apartheid period.

Me, too.

C'mon wind, you're good at sharing and one of very few from South Africa I've ever encountered online. It just hit me now how revealing that is. I've chatted with dozens of Aussies like null, yet can hardly recall any from South Africa, which has more than double Australia's population. Give us some insights into where you are now and your take on how you got there. Perhaps some links to things you've posted elsewhere?

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  wind Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 am

arpie wrote:
wind wrote:

Me, too.

C'mon wind, you're good at sharing and one of very few from South Africa I've ever encountered online. It just hit me now how revealing that is. I've chatted with dozens of Aussies like null, yet can hardly recall any from South Africa, which has more than double Australia's population. Give us some insights into where you are now and your take on how you got there. Perhaps some links to things you've posted elsewhere?

I'm not from SA. confused

wind

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 am

No, that would be Glob.

Forgive arpie - he regularly has a problem with names! Smile

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  arpie Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:23 am

But you've lived there, yes? Or am I conflating you with another? That happens frequently these days. Sad

Whoops. Just saw null's reply. I could have sworn I remembered wind mentioning fighting against apartheid. Perhaps she was quoting Glob and I failed to make the distinction. Embarassed

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 am

I once met a man with a head injury who had ceased retaining new memories. In essence he had to live with a situation that meant he could read a book and then completely forget it within a week.

I'll never forget his comment. "At least it keeps down the cost of buying new books!"

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  arpie Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am

Yeah, there's that. At about age 65 when I started having frequent lapses in the synapses, I wondered if perhaps I was dropped on my head as a baby. Now I'm beginning to think I was thrown! Rolling Eyes

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Glob the Funct Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Will do, but I'll probably need a bit of time, and open a new thread.
Glob the Funct
Glob the Funct

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Glob the Funct wrote:Will do, but I'll probably need a bit of time, and open a new thread.

In your own time. Nothing worth doing is worth rushing. Smile

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Glob the Funct Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 pm

nullnvoid wrote:
Glob the Funct wrote:Will do, but I'll probably need a bit of time, and open a new thread.

In your own time. Nothing worth doing is worth rushing. Smile

Done. See: http://www.secularsocialjustice.com/t167-south-africa-an-unequal-society#1836
Glob the Funct
Glob the Funct

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Yep, just read it! Am digesting it now...

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down