Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Another Atheism+ alternate forum

4 posters

Go down

Another Atheism+ alternate forum Empty Another Atheism+ alternate forum

Post  scott1328 Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Someone announced the creation of another Atheism+ forum at the SCSS. Interestingly is is hosted on FreeForum under the name this forum used to use.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3707

It is being met with nothing but hostility and derision.

This might be justified since it doesn't since the one and only posting is a jab at the SCSS.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Another Atheism+ alternate forum Empty Re: Another Atheism+ alternate forum

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:47 pm

I wouldn't engage too strongly on the A+ thread (there's no need to defend us) - but hey...I'm grateful to Hyperdeath for the free publicity. I want to point out a couple of things:

1) to fail, would require a goal not achieved. I kept my goals low...and I already see this place as a success.

2) I wan't to point out that a rejection of the atheism+ forum, is not the same thing as rejecting the concept of social justice or a declaration that you don't care about secular justice issues.

3) people often fail to comprehend when they join that site that Atheism+ forum isn't a place where different viewpoints are valued. The Atheism+ movement has a core set of tenets that cannot be questioned. I made that movement initially - and thought that Atheism+ could potentially be a good rallying point for positive action. I don't think that's what Atheism+ is becoming.

4) we're not part of the Atheism+ movement - we're a bunch of people who are interested in social justice issues who are trying to sort the issues out into a form that can be defined. We're not there yet - but we're trying to start from first principles. IF that sounds interesting, crimson - you're more than welcome to join here.

5) notice and learn from the use of loaded terms. Hyperdeath said we had "weak moderation" which has a bad connotation, rather than loose moderation or minimal moderator interference which would have better connotation. This type of language use speaks volumes.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  uncrystal Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm

I found this part of hyperdeath's comment interesting..

It has largely turned into an anti Atheism Plus forum, due to the weak moderation.

(emphasis mine)

As if people are "anti A+" because the mods here allow them to be. If the mods were more "censorious, capricious and biased" everyone would be "pro A+"?

I despise this idea that someone who disagrees with you just doesn't "get" what you mean or doesn't understand a litany of topics you're a expert on. There is no room for others to disagree with your premise or your method and remain a respectable person.

uncrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm

uncrystal wrote:As if people are "anti A+" because the mods here allow them to be. If the mods were more "censorious, capricious and biased" everyone would be "pro A+"?

Well...everyone who hadn't been banned or shut their mouth would be. Evil or Very Mad

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  uncrystal Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 pm

nullnvoid wrote:
uncrystal wrote:As if people are "anti A+" because the mods here allow them to be. If the mods were more "censorious, capricious and biased" everyone would be "pro A+"?

Well...everyone who hadn't been banned or shut their mouth would be. Evil or Very Mad

Exactly. So are they simply banning everyone who is "anti-A+" and burying their heads' in the sand and pretending such people don't exist?

Yay rationality!

uncrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Atheist Dude Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 pm

uncrystal wrote:I found this part of hyperdeath's comment interesting..

It has largely turned into an anti Atheism Plus forum, due to the weak moderation.

(emphasis mine)

As if people are "anti A+" because the mods here allow them to be. If the mods were more "censorious, capricious and biased" everyone would be "pro A+"?

I despise this idea that someone who disagrees with you just doesn't "get" what you mean or doesn't understand a litany of topics you're a expert on. There is no room for others to disagree with your premise or your method and remain a respectable person.

If I ever acted like that, do me a favor and cuff me upside the head. Seriously, I'd deserve it!
Atheist Dude
Atheist Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  scott1328 Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm

The last thing I intended was to launch another complaint thread about the SCSS.

Did you all notice this?

http://atheismplus.freeforums.org/index.php

Is this a parody forum? Who is Crimson?

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down