Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Outreach/coordination to/with leftie "interfaith" networks.

5 posters

Go down

Outreach/coordination to/with leftie "interfaith" networks. Empty Outreach/coordination to/with leftie "interfaith" networks.

Post  wind Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 am

Some of the best leftwing activism in my city comes from an "interfaith network". I feel a little weird volunteering/working with them, though, since I'm a non-faith person (sans some "faith" (term used liberally) in the human species to be good and kind under the right conditions - a "faith" that's stronger on some days than on others. lol.)

I think there's a huge space, though, for leftie freethought/secular/atheist type groups to coordinate with SOME (but not all) interfaith social justice groups. Since "we're" secular (but not all necessarily hard-core atheist exclusively) I think we're in a unique space in time and place to trail-blaze SOME types of secular-interfaith efforts and coordination. We'd have to suck it up that the interfaithers outnumber "us" and are unlikely to drop their lable, but a lot might be willing to at least put on a disclaimer that their version of "interfaith" includes SJ activists and organizations who identify as have no faith, including some atheist and agnostic individuals and organizations.

Sound like a nice mini-project we could work on in our respective corners of the world, assuming one lives in an area with adequately tolerant interfaith orgs?

wind

Back to top Go down

Outreach/coordination to/with leftie "interfaith" networks. Empty Re: Outreach/coordination to/with leftie "interfaith" networks.

Post  JustinLong Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

The United Church of Christ would be an alright place to start working with here in the US.
JustinLong
JustinLong

Back to top Go down

Outreach/coordination to/with leftie "interfaith" networks. Empty Re: Outreach/coordination to/with leftie "interfaith" networks.

Post  Atheist Dude Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm

The Unitarian church here in Canada works with many marginalized and oppressed groups. I think many of their members are even atheists and agnostics.

"For Newcomers
For those beginning their exploration of Unitarianism & Unitarian communities

Unitarians celebrate the unity and interdependence of all existence. We pursue our individual search for truth and meaning in community with like-minded individuals.

Unitarians value both spiritual insight and rational inquiry. Some have words like God and Goddess in their vocabulary; others do not. We each explore our place in the universe in different ways – true to our own conscience and experience.

We are each charged with taking individual and collective responsibility for our lives and for our planet. Our sense of connection is demonstrated by our respect for the inherent worth and dignity of every person and our environment.

We are called to act with compassion, generosity and integrity in all human relations. You will find Unitarians at the forefront of social action – driven by our commitment to a fair, diverse and sustainable global community."

As far as "churches" go, It aligns best with my views of a "just society".
Atheist Dude
Atheist Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  scott1328 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:10 pm

The most surreal experience in my life was attending a wedding for a Wiccan and an atheist in a Unitarian church officiated by a priest from a Satanist cult.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  Atheist Dude Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 pm

scott1328 wrote:The most surreal experience in my life was attending a wedding for a Wiccan and an atheist in a Unitarian church officiated by a priest from a Satanist cult.

I burst out laughing when I read that. I would have paid to see that!
Atheist Dude
Atheist Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  wind Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Rough draft:

Hello and Shalom from the (local, ad city here) chapter of the Secular Social Justice Network! We are an international group of people, newly formed, affiliated loosely with the occupy network and the New Atheists. Not all of "us" are atheists, tho. We just believe in human equality and separation of church and state. I (state irl name) sense that your organization shares very similar values. We at the Secular Social Justice Movement would like to align with you, if you're interested. Tell us how we can help your causes.

wind

Back to top Go down

Post  wind Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:35 pm

scott1328 wrote:The most surreal experience in my life was attending a wedding for a Wiccan and an atheist in a Unitarian church officiated by a priest from a Satanist cult.

Awesome.

Some days I consider converting to Satanism just for the OMG LOL WTF factor.

wind

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 am

wind wrote:Rough draft:

Hello and Shalom from the (local, ad city here) chapter of the Secular Social Justice Network! We are an international group of people, newly formed, affiliated loosely with the occupy network and the New Atheists. Not all of "us" are atheists, tho. We just believe in human equality and separation of church and state. I (state irl name) sense that your organization shares very similar values. We at the Secular Social Justice Movement would like to align with you, if you're interested. Tell us how we can help your causes.

What's the "Secular Social Justice Movement"? Sounds like something that requires a toilet if I'm honest. And I am not affiliated with the occupy network or the New Atheists....am I? Shocked

null must have put that somewhere in the fine print. You should always read the fine print.

I like the general idea though. Very Happy

Why not say it like it is:

"Hello, I'm [an atheist] interested in secular social justice and I like some of what you do [or name something specific]. May I join your group?"
or
"Hello, I'm involved in online secular social justice forum and I was wondering if there was anything we could do to help support [your cause]."

Fred

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum