Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness?

5 posters

Go down

Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness? Empty Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness?

Post  Dar Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness?

I don't think we can. I think the Atheism Plus banner has been tarnished beyond repair. Getting people to view Atheism Plus as a movement that opposes bigotry and hatred simply isn't possible now that Atheism Plus is a symbol of bigotry and hatred.

I know there are others here who disagree.

If you think we can get Atheism Plus not to stand for bigotry and hate, what do you recommend we do?

If you don't think we can get Atheism Plus not to stand for bigotry and hate, what do you recommend we do?

Dar

Back to top Go down

Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness? Empty Re: Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness?

Post  nullnvoid Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:25 pm

I think we can appropriate the label as the other forum is NOT the primary manifestation of the group. It's a term coined by bloggers who aren't actually on the other site. I still like the concept of Atheism Plus - I just dislike the cliquish behaviour on the other forum.

I'm open to other labels if people prefer...it's just a label.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness? Empty Re: Can we still fight bigotry and hatefulness under the Atheism Plus banner when its primary manifestation, the safe place forum, is full of bigotry and hatefulness?

Post  Skep tickle Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:45 pm

What does it even mean (in the 21st century) to fight something "under a banner"? And to fight [negative behavior]?

What is the group being targeted? It hardly seems clear any more.

Skep tickle

Back to top Go down

Post  rEvolutionist Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 pm

The name Atheism+ is pretty much a laughing stock around the internet because of that other site. I guess it's still early days, but I'd think that unless the people who started this A+ drive step in to differentiate their goals from that of the "safe space" forum, then the name is probably only going to get more tarnished with time.

rEvolutionist

Back to top Go down

Post  mood2 Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:49 pm

The A+ brand seems to carry too much inescapable baggage, I can't see that fading any time soon.

I think the time to make decisions about re-branding n wotnot will be when all the anti safe place huffing and puffing has died down. See who's left (if anybody), and what they want to try build from the mess.

mood2

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 pm

mood2 wrote:
I think the time to make decisions about re-branding n wotnot will be when all the anti safe place huffing and puffing has died down. See who's left (if anybody), and what they want to try build from the mess.

I agree.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down