Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Discussion thread about the function of this forum

2 posters

Go down

Discussion thread about the function of this forum Empty Discussion thread about the function of this forum

Post  devilsadvocate Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Now that we have the forum going, I think where this forum fits in the grand scheme of things and what it's purpose should be, is something we should figure and iron out. There's a thread by Argyle (who, in my knowledge, fathered the idea of a 2nd forum) at the safe-space that discusses the need and function of this forum. The thread's purpose is to transfer that discussion here.

I'd like to start this out by asking Cuduggan and Argyle (not to say everyone elses opinions aren't welcome) to share their views what this forum is (or should be) about?

devilsadvocate

Back to top Go down

Discussion thread about the function of this forum Empty Re: Discussion thread about the function of this forum

Post  Cuduggan2K2 Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 pm

It's about having the arguments that cannot be had on the other forum, trying to convince people who are interested in A+ but not in that mindset and ofthat worldview why the positions they don't like or don't understand are taken (and modify those positions that don't stand up).

It's about having somewhere for completely unproductive discussions about A+ to take place, so that they don't keep happening over at the other forum.

Cuduggan2K2

Back to top Go down

Discussion thread about the function of this forum Empty Re: Discussion thread about the function of this forum

Post  devilsadvocate Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:51 am

Cuduggan2K2 wrote:It's about having the arguments that cannot be had on the other forum, trying to convince people who are interested in A+ but not in that mindset and ofthat worldview why the positions they don't like or don't understand are taken (and modify those positions that don't stand up).

It's about having somewhere for completely unproductive discussions about A+ to take place, so that they don't keep happening over at the other forum.

Let me try rephrase this,

This is the forum where people interested in social justice (even if to disagree with the need for it) can discuss the rational and ethical foundations of A+ and/or the means of attaining the goals.

I don't think there should be any presumption of A+ values being correct or the only set of values rationally justified as an official view of the forum. I mean, if this is to be a debate space, then it would be quite unskeptical to presume A+ values and execution as correct (when they could be correctable or wrong).

devilsadvocate

Back to top Go down

Post  Cuduggan2K2 Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:15 am

There's no presumption by the forum that these values are correct, however just as if I entered into a debate betwen creationists and biologists I'd presume the biologists were right, or if I entered a debate between republicans and democrats I'd presume the democrats were in the right. I presume that the groundings of A+ are sound, because I am convinced by them, but that is my bias, not the forums.

Cuduggan2K2

Back to top Go down

Post  devilsadvocate Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:17 am

Cuduggan2K2 wrote:There's no presumption by the forum that these values are correct, however just as if I entered into a debate betwen creationists and biologists I'd presume the biologists were right, or if I entered a debate between republicans and democrats I'd presume the democrats were in the right. I presume that the groundings of A+ are sound, because I am convinced by them, but that is my bias, not the forums.

I'm glad to hear that, as I think creating an atmosphere on the forum, where arguments for and against are taken equally seriously and information can transfer in both directions, is key to avoid unproductive shout-wars and hostility.

devilsadvocate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down