Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Resignation of a Pope

4 posters

Go down

Resignation of a Pope Empty Resignation of a Pope

Post  nullnvoid Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am

Since it's on just about every news channel at the moment, I thought I'd bring up the whole Papal resignation thing.

I read this article (among many others) and noted the following quote about Atheism:

benedict wrote:It is no accident that this idea has led to the greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice; rather, it is grounded in the intrinsic falsity of the claim. A world which has to create its own justice is a world without hope.

Good riddance to a pope who conflated Atheism with Nihilism.

We're constantly bombarded with a need for tolerance people's religion, but we're expected to put up with people representing atheism in the worst possible light for their own personal agenda.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Resignation of a Pope Empty Re: Resignation of a Pope

Post  scott1328 Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 pm

All I can say to this is that whatever morality lead this pope to protect and cover up child rape while excommunicating those who mentioned it, is not a morality worth a second look. That kind of morality deserves to be eradicated.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Happily most of the mainstream news sites at least seem to spend a line or two mentioning that he was involved in the cover-up.

I agree with you about eradicating the 'morality' of the catholic church. That being said - I'd like to share with you one of the most impressive catholic priests you'll ever hear:

This guy was sacked from his parish - presumably because he was something of a rebel. When Aronra came to Australia he met with him. It's one of the rare times you'll hear Aronra speechless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Maguire

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  mood2 Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I read this article (among many others) and noted the following quote about Atheism:

benedict wrote:It is no accident that this idea has led to the greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice; rather, it is grounded in the intrinsic falsity of the claim. A world which has to create its own justice is a world without hope.

Religion-based justice was created by people too (unless you believe god exists and spoke in their ear).

The advantage of not believing in sacred eternal truths is you can re-evaluate beliefs and progress. Which is why religion lags behind on so many ethical issues, and tries to rationalise obscenities like deterring people vulnerable to AIDS protecting themselves with condoms.

mood2

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 am

Nullenvoid wrote:I'd like to share with you one of the most impressive catholic priests you'll ever hear:

Nope. Not remotely impressive.
Blows his own trumpet at the first oportunity, and is full of bullshit.

I HAVE met an impressive catholic priest, but I wouldn't be impressed by THAT old windbag.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 pm

LOL - I guess you're tough to impress.

What about the other catholic priest (the one you mentioned) impressed you?

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:17 am

nullnvoid wrote:LOL - I guess you're tough to impress.

What about the other catholic priest (the one you mentioned) impressed you?
Well, he was really nice to my elderly aunt in Ireland in her final months, which I viewed as a professional niceness.
He did seem sincere though, and was well spoken of by the locals.
Then my aunt died, and he was very helpful, without being pushy.
Then, at the funeral, I went up to him with a donation for the parish, which was several hundred Euros, and he flatly refused to take it. I tried very hard, stressing that it was for the parish, not a personal gift, but he said, "I'll take care of that personally, it's something I want to do". He was very fond of my aunt, and wanted to do something to mark her passing.
I had to give up in the end.

A priest who won't take money, even when pressed, is impressive, even to cynical old me.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermack Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 am

nullnvoid wrote:LOL - I guess you're tough to impress.
No, I really didn't rate him. He dived straight in with all the "good works" he's been involved in, it just sounded like he was blowing his own trumpet as loud as he could. And of course, he's just spending other people's money, and taking the credit.

Then, when talking about the debate of Dawkins with Cardinal Pell, he was all bullshit.
That debate is notorious for the idiotic performance by Pell, but he was talking as if Pell was some sort of master debater.
He's a liar, in other words, or extremely deluded.
I've seen  that debate myself, it's on youtube. Pell was pathetic.

All Dawkins said was that he didn't claim that he KNEW that there was no god. Something nearly all atheists would agree with. Pell seems to think that is some sort of huge admission. It's not, it's common sense. Nothing can be claimed to be known 100% certain, unless you are mad, or a liar.

To try to spin that debate as some sort of masterpiece by Pell makes your priest a bullshitter to me.
It's not that I'm deliberately being anti, it's just as I see it.

mistermack

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum