Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check out frostfern at the other forum..

3 posters

Go down

Check out frostfern at the other forum.. Empty Check out frostfern at the other forum..

Post  arpie Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 am

In his last post he makes some statements about autism I found interesting. For after a tremendous amount of introspection over the last decade combined with my reclusive lifestyle and some articles I've read on autism, it has occurred to me I might fall at least within the margins of that classification. I took one of those aspie tests once, and was within 2 points of the 'seek further analysis' category. Not that at my age I would bother. I'm retired and quite content with my sought seclusion, so what difference could it possibly make? I wasn't even interested enough to look into it further. I was just a tad curios to see if the shoe fit.

Frostfern has already gotten a thumbs down by a few of the regulars, so I'm willing to bet he won't make it to 30 replies. They've p. much run off all the noobs who aren't walking on tiptoes, and he/she managed to offend 2 out of 3 with just the title. Who says watching site denouement train wrecks is a waste of time? It can be downright entertaining in slow motion. Check out frostfern at the other forum.. Yes

arpie

Back to top Go down

Check out frostfern at the other forum.. Empty Re: Check out frostfern at the other forum..

Post  nullnvoid Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:44 pm

I find the take on mental illness on that site a little bit disturbing at times. "Asshole is not on the autism spectrum" is actually stated on the arguments to avoid thread. People with autism can present as behaving like an asshole. It's actually quite common in places where the person is undiagnosed or has failed to address the particular behaviours that result from the condition. I say this with love as I've worked with people with a disability as a life-skills trainer. For a couple of years I met many people with all sorts of disabilities. It's eye opening to say the least.

There are a lot of people that are undiagnosed that would fit on the spectrum of Autism somewhere. Asperger Syndrome is the relatively mild end of the spectrum. I know a guy in a computer industry group that I belong to, who confided in me one day that he was "an aspie". I chuckled and said "if you throw a rock in this room it'll be hard to find someone who isn't some way along that spectrum. Some industries just lend themselves to introverted loners...

Frostfern's article was kinda pseudo-sciency. Linking a whole political philosophy to Autism is a bit asinine. It's actually somewhat of a 'put the boot into libertarians' type of article - so I think it was good to see A+ dismiss it for the nonsense it is. The person who said that the article misrepresented Autism was correct.

If you're looking for real drama - check out the reaction to this limerick: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3586

I'll leave you to read it. At some point this train wreck will get boring.

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Check out frostfern at the other forum.. Empty Re: Check out frostfern at the other forum..

Post  arpie Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm

I dunno, nullo. Wink I didn't read everything in that year old link, but some of the things s/he said in the intro definitely rang some bells for me. I invited frostfern to continue the discussion here after he is banned, (which I predict) but didn't think he would find any here that would disagree with his comments. But after reading the above I hope he will come and defend his position. It could prove an informative read.

As I said earlier I don't really know much about autism other than what little I've read about it. What I found especially interesting in frostfern's last post was his perspective on empathy. I didn't read everything in that year old link, but some of the things s/he said in the intro definitely rang some bells for me. What in particular did you find to be nonsense in the article?

Think the drama at A+ is starting to drag as it has become too predictable. What puzzles me is there are some ostensibly p. bright people who continue to post there. Shocked

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Chart#3 Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi everyone...

I am frostfern on the other forum. To dispel any rumors I haven't been mod-warned or anything, though my original title was edited. I don't know if the initially ambiguous title was interpreted as too much of a lure. I mainly just wanted to rant about something I'd stumbled upon that stoked my ire and wanted to know what other people's thoughts were.

As I stated in my intro on that forum, economic skepticism is a recent interest of mine. I've spent a lot of time on other forums banging my head against the wall with free-market fundamentalists and Ron Paul fan club members. Spending a lot of time researching online I get a little irked when I come across the use of "autism" as an disparaging metaphor for that brand of economic thinking. As someone with a more humanist political perspective interacting with extreme free-market apologists, I can kind understand where the metaphor comes from, but I think the connotation is definitely not right.

Chart#3

Back to top Go down

Post  arpie Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Welcome aboard Chart#3. Haven't been thinking about the economy much lately-too depressing. I believe it is all basically a Ponzi scheme as it is based on a continued growth model that is simply impossible to maintain, and it seems there is no plan B.

Are you familiar with the term 'fractional-reserve banking? Look forward to reading your thoughts on the fiscal morass and it's causes. I believe 12/23/13 will mark the 100th anniversary of when our troubles began. pale

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Welcome aboard...it'll be interesting to see some economic discussions on here - I've set up a forum that covers that area. Feel free to get the ball rolling!

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Chart#3 Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 am

arpie wrote:Welcome aboard Chart#3. Haven't been thinking about the economy much lately-too depressing. I believe it is all basically a Ponzi scheme as it is based on a continued growth model that is simply impossible to maintain, and it seems there is no plan B.

Are you familiar with the term 'fractional-reserve banking? Look forward to reading your thoughts on the fiscal morass and it's causes. I believe 12/23/13 will mark the 100th anniversary of when our troubles began. pale

I started a new thread in the economics forum. I could start another topic on autism and empathy if you're interested.

Chart#3

Back to top Go down

Post  arpie Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:05 am

Chart#3 wrote:I started a new thread in the economics forum. I could start another topic on autism and empathy if you're interested.

Will check out new thread now, and am definitely interested in reading your thoughts on autism in general, not just the empathy factor where it seems my thoughts merge well with yours. I'm still perplexed by why some p. bright posters I follow get involved in the forum chit-chats. I mean, why would I care wtf you are drinking or listening to right now or plan to have for dinner? I don't get it!

I'd be particularly interested if you grok the difference between extreme introversion and say aspergers. I have no problem talking to new people or enjoying the company of old friends. But the unusual degree of my solitude going all the way back to childhood, only became clear to me about a year ago when I learned of the death of an old friend. We hadn't spoken in over a decade though I had tried to reestablish contact a couple times. I've lost quite a few old friends over the years, so I was surprised at how discombobulating news of his death was for me.

After thinking about it a while, I realized I had spent more time with this friend than any other during my teens and back all the way to my childhood. That realization led to much more analysis and it hit me just how much of a loner I had been most of my life. I took the Briggs/Stanton(?) test some 30 years ago and their label for my personality was INTP. I was surprised at how well the description fit my own perception of my persona. Now I'm not so sure, and would be very keen to learn more about autism from a personal level. I've always considered myself a curious person, but now wonder to just what degree I appeared so to others. Wink

arpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down