Secular Social Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» French court upholds Muslim veil ban
by mistermack Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

» Ziggy's Introduction
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

» What does social justice mean to you? What do you feel are the most important areas to work on?
by Ziggy Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am

» Introducing Jim
by jimhabegger Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

» Current Drug Laws, a failure. How to make them better?
by mistermack Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

» Rape Culture in the west - I think it hyperbolic, let's discuss
by dandelionc Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

» Is there anybody out there?
by tomokun Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 am

» mistermack says Hi
by tomokun Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am

» Why I Joined This Forum...
by tomokun Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

» Speculations about the feuding
by dandelionc Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Windows 8 - Love or hate?

2 posters

Go down

Windows 8 - Love or hate? Empty Windows 8 - Love or hate?

Post  nullnvoid Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm in the love category. The Metro layout is basically like a cross between the desktop and the start menu. The more I use it the more I like it.

The Search facility is great. From the Metro UI you type a few letters (no need to open the search screen) of the app/file/other thing you are looking for and you are immediately taken to the search screen. The default search is on your computer but simply pressing up or down allows you to switch to searching on the marketplace, the web or other apps on your computer. This might be my favorite part of the new OS.

So far - not one application has failed to run. The Vista upgrade from XP was flawed and so many apps had to have updates before they would work. I've found that running graphically intensive games work without any problems.

Being a tech head I'm aware that the underlying changes to the operating system are almost as significant as the change to Windows 95. They have completely revamped the kernel allowing them to have a common core that is identical across their phone, tablet and PC.

So, how do the rest of you feel about it?

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Windows 8 - Love or hate? Empty Re: Windows 8 - Love or hate?

Post  scott1328 Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 am

Do not like it. In fact I hate it with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. I hate it only slightly less than that abortion of a software package that is Office 2010

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 pm

*first world problems!

As a former MS Office developer - how can you not like Office 2010???? The advent of docx and docm formats in 2007 effectively open sourced the format and allowed anyone to generate their own file editor. Plus with docx restricting macro access they eliminated virus issues. After using the ribbon for a week or so...there are so many benefits.

I guess there's no accounting for taste. Smile

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  scott1328 Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 am

DOCX is encumbered by patent issues, it is not possible to be open. Microsoft can shut down any developer or extort any license fee if it so desires.

And don't get me started with the ribbon. It is a complete abortion. I fucking hate the fucking ribbon.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:29 am

While your hatred for the ribbon is just a taste thing... The patent issues are basically BS.

The ODF Alliance raised that fear campaign back in 2007 to try and prevent OOXML from gaining ISO standard approval. They failed and then turned on ISO accusing MS of corrupting the standards body...without any actual evidence. This is all piffle. The same argument could be made against Java. (Although, try building your own virtual machine for Java and see how long before you get a cease and desist letter.) Both Sun (and later oracle) and Microsoft have addressed the legal concerns of potential future litigation by providing an irrevocable promise of intention not to sue. If they try to sue anyone for using their standard it will be thrown out of court with prejudice.

Are you a FOSS supporter? Do you use MS products?

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  scott1328 Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't want to get into a pissing match about MS or Office.

Suffice to say I have the burden of keeping our company's backend integration add-ins up to date for each version of Office.

And don't get me started on Java either. Google learned the hardway exactly what Sun's promises were worth when Oracle took the reins.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  nullnvoid Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:39 pm

If you ever need help PM me. I used to be a vba dev, have worked with vsto and currently get dragged in to help when people want to get something with office fixed.

btw...have you ever changed a .docx to .zip and opened it?

nullnvoid

Back to top Go down

Post  scott1328 Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 am

Yes I have.

scott1328

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down